Sustainability

Sustainability

Wednesday 8 February 2012

Building an on-line learning community

I began teaching University level courses on-line last Fall at Royal Roads University and what I experienced surprised me. My role significantly shifted from when I was teaching face-to-face as a Professor at Wageningen University, in the Netherlands. Prior to this on-line teaching experience, I held command of the learning environment with lectures, power point presentations and assigned readings. While I encouraged discussion in class, the feedback from students was generally directed towards me, the Professor. It rarely occurred when students would engage in dialogue amongst themselves. However, that is exactly what I'm trying to encourage in an on-line learning community. I want to create the conditions for student to student dialogue.

My role has shifted from the knowledge holder to the knowledge broker. One technique I use is the magic of appreciative inquiry to probe into my student's posts. Appreciative Inquiry (AI) re-frames how we think about problem solving. Rather than identify all the reasons why a certain idea won't work, AI uses the art of asking good questions to probe into what is working well in a system. Often used in the organizational development field, AI is a practice that amplifies the positive and re-engages dialogue in the creative possibilities. When people are energized in a dialogue about possibility, the level of creative thinking heightens and collaborative learning often occurs. Similarly, I've found that asking good questions in an on-line learning community can propel thinking into creative knowledge building. Hence, as a Professor, I'm no longer the knowledge holder, but one of many co-creators.


3 comments:

  1. Great post- I am wondering, do you happen to have exact examples of how you used AI in your course?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura,

      I enjoyed reading your post. I have been surprised too by the differences between face to face instruction and online instruction. I have worked in learning and development roles in corporate settings for much of my career. Conveying information and new concepts was my role much of the time although I was fortunate to facilitate experiential learning workshops as well. Online instruction though, by nature, must be much more collaborative in nature and questioning to prompt self-discovery and to guide discussions becomes very important. Have you heard the saying "The guide on the side versus the sage on the stage"?

      David

      Delete
    2. Hi Amanda,

      Thanks for note. I was using appreciative inquiry principles in this week's facilitation. Essentially, you focus on the positive aspects of what's working, either in the group, the organization, or even in your relationship with individuals. Building on what you appreciate, or what is working, you pose further questions in order to probe deeper in that direction.

      Delete